Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Rottweiler

Written by Rosie

Little Laura & Little Rosie


Laura at the age of 9

Since Laura first came into our family, and 10 years later, we have never ever regretted getting a rottie. We were extremely lucky to have gotten her with no serious health problems and definitely no bad temperament .. from a pet shop. At that time, none of us knew anything much about dogs and even Rotties. I had been pestering my parents for one since I was 4. And I had to give 10 good reasons in full sentences about why we should have a dog xD So, one day, we went on a surprise outing to pet shops, to look for dogs. After watching 101 Dalmations, I really wanted one. But the ones we saw were so sick and poor in the cages. We went to many but with no luck. Then suddenly I remembered a pet shop I had spotted as we were driving, and I told my parents to go back to check it out - at that time, we had already lost hope, because the only animals I could see from the car were rabbits. Anyway, we still went, and that's where we met the friendliest puppy in the teeniest cage. She was just so happy and excited and kept licking our hands. I think we all immediately fell in love with her, and she was the pup we wanted - none of us even bothered looking at the Yorkie and Golden Retriever in the other cages. ... So that's how Laura came to our family.

Laura & Rosie ready for a picnic


A rest in the shade

At that time, the Rottweiler was just a breed. We knew nothing about its aggressiveness, or how many people it has mauled. But when we knew, it didn't matter. We loved Laura and she loved us. Everybody who came to our house would compliment her, saying she was such a good girl, or that she was the first rottie who let them pet her. What we loved most about her was that, when we were inexperienced, novice dog owners, she didn't give us trouble by going over the limits like Mika did to us. She was always calm, and to be honest, we didn't teach her much, she just kind of knew it all - For example, not jumping on people, peeing on the grass, not running out when the gate is open. Thinking back of it now, she was really the perfect dog. Although now, she's a bit stubborn but it's ok, she should enjoy her old age.



Rosie, Rosie, where are you?

It wasn't until a few years ago when I started really looking up rotties and read about them. And recently, I have been going crazy, looking at all the kennels, learning about the breed standard, and then deciding which parts of the rottie I like, and really ... really ... going crazy. You can ask my mum. Haha. But looking at all those pictures of those beautiful show and working dogs gives me a lot of peace because I know that those are the real dogs. not the snarling, salivating ones you immediately see on Google Images when you type in Rottweiler.

I do believe that rotties who turn out bad may be the cause of bad breeding and bad ownership, making it worst.
And I believe that there are many great pitbulls, dogos, and filas out there who love their family and would do anything for them.
So why blame them too?

Although I have two beautiful shelties at home, and love them both so much, the Rottie would still be my no.1 choice. I agree that they may be harder to take care of and train, but I've always had an obsession for them, and unlike most of my obsessions, it is never going to die away.

7 comments:

koko said...

Hi Priscila,

Thanks for dropping by, the park is Central Park at BU. Laura is a beautiful rottie... hope to meet you someday.

Licks, hero

Sara said...

What a lovely tribute to your Laura.

Bad dogs, give good dogs a bad name.

Chris and Ricky said...

I was going to say exactly what Sara said - a wonderful tribute to a great dog! And I love all the photos of Laura too! Thanks for sharing her story!

Emma Rose said...

You are so right. It is not the dogs fault if they turn out mean, it is the owners fault. Any dog raised in a loving home and properly trained will end up being a good dog. Anyway that's what I think! But there are lot's of rescued dogs that came from bad homes that end up being awesome dogs because they get adopted into loving homes. (Like me!)

Kisses,
Emma Rose

BigBrownBearBear said...

Hello Laura. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Come back soon!! Or come and visit us.

Casper Bear said...

What a wonderful tribute to such a beautiful dog, You are so right, there is no such thing as a bad dog just bad owners. Thank you for sharing Lauras' story. My best friend is a Rottweiler, she is a sweetie.
Licks
Casper Bear

katie, Maizey and Magnus said...

Every once in a while when I visit you guys I get led back to this post, it is so beautiful! It makes me happy to know there are other advocates for this wonderful breed. You guys gave Laura the best home and loved her loyally to the end. She makes me miss my big girl all the more. Thanks you Rosie for being a responsible and educated Rottie owner, the breed needs more like you!

 
Template by Deluxe Designs. Edited by Phang Photos